Sunday, September 14, 2014

C4T #1 Summary Post

I was assigned the blog, Quantum Progress by Mr. John Burke. The first post that I read was "A solution to comment writing dread: video reflections" and this post was about how Mr. Burke was not interested in making comments to students anymore because they would never get read or even if they were read his criticism was more than likely never used. He came up with an idea to not have to merely make comments to students but make videos of his comments and make them as if they were in a conversation. He would then ask his students to make videos also and allow them to show him different elements to support the things that Mr. Burke was asking for. I commented on Mr.Burke's post and told him how much I enjoyed reading his post and how I believed that this concept would help him with using his time wisely and not wasting time and also allow his students to actually have to take his criticism and apply it to their work by showing him different examples from their work.

The second post that I read of Mr. Burke's was "A workshop on screencasting". This post was about how he was going to meet with the Math department and have a workshop on how to screencast. He believes that screencasting will allow students to receive background information, definitions, and other things that would help the students think deeper about specific problems. One of the key things about these videos is that they will be no longer than ten minutes. I commented on this post and told Mr. Burke how I really enjoyed his post and how I believed that it was a great idea to begin using screencasting to help the students have greater understanding on specific problems. I told him that I definitely believed that the videos should be no longer than ten minutes so that the students can stay attentive and use them as a learning tool. I ended my comment by asking Mr. Burke how the screencasting has worked out so far and I hope that it has worked out well. Maybe one day I can use this tool in my classroom to help my students better understand different problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment